A Hipstamatic Photo-a-day gallery
WHAT’S A YALE TRAIL?
Every Spring Yale University organizes a fitness program for the community called The Yale Trail in which staff are encouraged to start a daily walking program. Last Spring, I posted a single photo taken during each of my morning walks to my Instagram account under the title “Good Morning New Haven.“’
The 2022 program is now underway and runs through May 10, 2022. This year I intend to post a photo a day taken while walking along Dixwell Avenue.
Besides being perhaps the best named road in all of New Haven County, Dixwell Ave. is a commercial and residential wonderland that stretches for several miles through New Haven, Hamden, and North Haven and is positively stupid with urban delights such as hand painted murals, colorful signage, fascinating architecture, and intriguing statements of ethnicity and individuality. See below for a description of my photographs above and links to learn more about my subjects.
WHAT’S A HIPSTAMATIC?
Hipstamatic is an iPhone camera app that allows the photographer to emulate a variety of toy and lo-fi film cameras.
Toy camera photography became a cult thing in the photography community in the 90s and into the 21st century. Using cheap plastic medium format cameras such as the Diana and the Holga, renowned for aberrations such as light leaks and ill-formed plastic lenses, photographers are able to produce very distinctive ‘sloppy’ and artsy photos.
The Hipstamatic app allows the user to change virtual lenses, films, flashes to produce digital images that have the qualities of toy camera photographs. For this years gallery I have chosen a combination of settings that produces over-saturated high contrast images with a distinctive black rounded border that emulates the Through-The Viewfinder style of photography.
Please consider bookmarking this page and coming back each day to see what has caught my eye. This year I am challenging myself to take all photographs with the Hipstamatic toy camera app on my iPhone SE using the same settings for a cohesive gallery. I hope you enjoy my efforts.
All original photographs © 2022 JMSurprenant
WHERE AM I TODAY?
- 03/28/22 Dixwell Ave & Munson Street, New Haven, CT 06511
- 03/29/22 CITGO gas station, 3048 Dixwell Ave, Hamden, CT 06518
- 03/30/22 Hamden Smoke Shop, 1529 Dixwell Ave, Hamden CT 06514
- 03/31/22 Abandoned Art Deco Building, 1409 Dixwell Ave, Hamden CT 06514
- 04/01/22 Ernest Borgnine Park, Dixwell & Putnam Avenues, Hamden, CT 06514
- Learn more about Ernest Borgnine Park here!
- 04/02/22 Hamden Plains United Methodist Church, 15 Church Street Hamden, CT 06514
- Learn more about HPUMC and their ministries here!
- 04/03/22 Former Monterey Café, 267 Dixwell Ave, Hamden, CT 06511
- Learn more about the rich history of the Monterey Cafe here!
- 04/04/22 AIR, Hess Express, 1126 Dixwell Avenue, 06514
- 04/05/22 Quality Used Tires, LLC, 1447 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06514
- 04/06/22 Payless Auto Glass, 1090 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06514
- 04/07/22 Street Mural at Chazmo Café & Lounge, 819 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06517
- 04/08/22 NH Public Schools Food Bus, parked at 894 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 066517
- Learn more about NH Public Schools initiatives to combat childhood hunger here!
- 04/09/22 Office, Quality Used Cars & Repairs, LLC, 872 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT, 06514
- 04/10/22 Walt’s Cleaners (abandoned), 310 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
- The City of New Haven purchased this property for redevelopment… Learn more here.
- 04/11/22 Healthy Community Gardens, 531 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
- 04/12/22 Mural Detail, Moe’s Market, 507 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
- 04/13/22 Gold N’ Pawn, 1058 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 04/14/22 Repurposed Texaco sign at Oliver Bros Services Station, 706 Dixwell Ave, New Haven, CT 06511
- 04/15/22 Christ Chapel (temporarily Closed), 224 Dixwell Ave, New Haven, CT 06511
- 04/16/22 Buick by Mauro (closed 03/14/2018)1635 Dixwell Avenue. Hamden, CT 06514
- 04/17/22 Mosaic detail at the ML Keefe Community Center, 975 Dixwell Avenue. Hamden, CT 06514
- Learn more about all the goodness that is the ML Keefe Center here.
- 04/18/22 Art Deco Street Number, 1214 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06514
- 04/19/22 Rainbow Laundromat, 1540 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06514,
- 04/20/22 King David House of Essence, 767 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden CT 06511
- Learn more the proprietors, Jamaican natives Delroy May and Sylvia Stephens here.
- 04/21/22 African-American Flag, 500 block Dixwell Avenue, New Haven CT 06511
- 04/22/22 Highwood Square, artist rentals at 943, 953, 965 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06514
- Designed by New Haven architect Ben Ledbetter & built in association with Graftworks Architecture and Design of Manhattan, you can learn more here!
- 04/23/22 Reliable Liquor Store, 671 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven CT 06511
- 04/24/22 “Faith” Jersey Barrier at entrance to Pitts Chapel Unified Free Will Baptist Church, located just south of the intersection of Brewster Street and Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
- 04/25/22 Vivian Fatima African Hair Braiding, 905 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 04/26/22 Barbara’s Restaurant, 962 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 04/27/22 Mural detail, Believe In Me Empowerment Corp, 423 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
- Learn more about BIMEC and their many services to the local community here!
- 04/28/22 Red Star, 1548 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 04/29/22 “Oh,” Perfection Cleaners, 1172 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 04/30/22 Happy Harry’s Liquor Warehouse, 956 Dixwell Ave, Hamden, CT 06514
- 05/01/22 “Family,” Believe In Me Empowerment Corp, 423 Dixwell Avenue, New Haven, CT 06511
- 05/02/22 French Italian Importing Company, 4 Circular Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 05/03/22 Bars, Vacant Bank Building, 1240 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 05/04/22 Graffiti at the Home Depot, 1873 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 05/05/22 Firestone Complete Auto Care, 2200 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 05/06/22 Skip’s Auto Service, 1607 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT 065144
- 05/07/22 “Beware the Sleestak,” 1396-1400 Dixwell, Avenue, Hamden, CT 06514
- 05/08/22 “Take Out,” at the former JA Bar & Grill, 1372 Dixwell Avenue, Hamden, CT06514